American-French Genealogical Society   Join American-French Genealogical Society
  | Home Page |  
 
American-French Genealogical Society

  Rhode Island 

HISTORICAL CEMETERIES FOR WOONSOCKET, RI
Prepared December 7, 2001


HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO001 COOK CEMETERY
Location: East of CUMBERLAND HILL RD.
636 burials with 357 inscriptions from 1817 to 1991.
250 ft x 350 ft in good condition enclosed with granite posts; sign in poor condition.
Tax Assessor's file # 2, acct. # 33-00600. Plat #: 43a Lot #: 5
NOTE: Cemetery faces Cumberland Hill Road, and runs to Mendon Road. Gateway is on Cumberland Hill Rd. Some
stones broken and repaired. Generally in good condition. Gravestone survey conducted by Grace G. Tillinghast, August 1932. Gravestone survey conducted by Paul P. Delisle, April 1992.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO002 CAPRON CEMETERY
Location: East of CUMBERLAND HILL RD.
90 burials with 74 inscriptions from 179 to 1923.
100 ft x 100 ft in very poor condition enclosed with a stone wall; sign in poor condition.
Tax Assessor's file # 30, acct. # 33-00350. Plat #: 42f Lot #: 10.
NOTE: Located on Cumberland Hill Road, north of Cook Cemetery and west of B'nai Israel Cemetery. No longer used,
very overgrown with weeds and trees. Many markers down. Sign is approximately 75' south of its correct position in adjacent Cook Cemetery. The only Revolutionary War veteran known to be buried in Woonsocket is here. Gravestone survey conducted by Grace G. Tillinghast in August 1932. Gravestone survey conducted by Paul P. Delisle and Roger Beaudry in May 1992.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO003 B'NAI ISRAEL CEMETERY
Location: West of MENDON RD.
734 burials with 559 inscriptions from 1895 to 1993.
250 ft x 250 ft in excellent condition enclosed with a metal fence; sign in poor condition
Tax Assessor's file # 32, acct. # 33-00450. Plat #: 42f Lot #: 255 .
NOTE: Excellent condition. Regularly maintained by maintenance crew. Few damaged stones. Established in 1893.
Thirty-one veterans identified. Gravestone survey completed by Paul P. Delisle in June 1993.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO004 ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST ROMANIAN ORTHODOX
Location: West of MENDON RD.
363 burials with 190 inscriptions from 1916 to 1991.
150 ft x 250 ft in excellent condition enclosed with a metal fence; sign ???
Tax Assessors' file # 33, acct. # 33-00400. Plat #: 42f Lot #: 254
NOTE: Excellent condition. Approximately 100 feet south of Newbury Avenue. Gravestone survey completed by Paul P. Delisle and Roger Beaudry in August 1992.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO005 JILLSON BURIAL LOT
Location: 150 ft West of MENDON RD.
66 burials with 41 inscriptions from 1821 to 1910.
150 ft x 150 ft in fair condition enclosed with granite posts and iron rails; sign in fair condition.
Tax Assessor's file # 7, acct. # 33-00170. Plat #: 48e Lot #: 11.
NOTE: Formerly known as the Wheaton Cemetery and Cass Cemetery. Approximately 100 feet south of Lambert Avenue. Well maintained, and being restored by neighbors. Number of burials approximate. Many stones too badly damaged to be legible. Extensively vandalized before neighbors took responsibility for upkeep.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO006 PRECIOUS BLOOD CEMETERY
Location: RATHBUN ST. COR. OF DIAMOND HILL RD.
Approximately 28904 burials .
Tax Assessors file #1, acct. #33-00250. Plat #: 21a Lot #: 1.
NOTE: Largest cemetery in Woonsocket. Maintained by Precious Blood Church. Large portion of cemetery is in Blackstone, MA, although it is considered to be a Woonsocket cemetery. Vandalism is a
recurring problem. No new lots or single graves available for sale after 31 May 1955. Gravestone survey conducted by
Paul P. Delisle, Roger Beaudry, Roger Bartholomy, and Sylvia Bartholomy from April 1993 to August 1993.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO007 OAK HILL CEMETERY
Location: 25 ft north of RATHBUN ST.
3847 burials with 1596 inscriptions from 1824 to 1992.
Tax Assessor's file #23, acct. # 33-00200. Plat #: 21g Lot #: 11
NOTE: Incorporated by the Rhode Island General Assembly on 26 February 1856 from land donated by Woonsocket
industrialist Edward Harris, who was one of the incorporators, and is buried here. There is evidence that the former Jenckes Cemetery was located on this site. That would explain the existence of graves that predate the establishment of Oak Hill by more than thirty years. Many prominent historical figures from Woonsocket history are buried here. 122 veteran's graves have been identified. Cemetery is maintained by the cemetery corporation, and a full time caretaker lives on the site. Vandalism is still a problem. Gravestone survey conducted by Paul P. Delisle and Roger Beaudry in August 1993.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO008 PRECIOUS BLOOD CHURCH
Location: CARRINGTON AVE. AT PARK AVE.
1 burials with 1 inscriptions.
10 ft x 10 ft in excellent condition enclosed with a metal fence; sign ???
Tax Assessor's file # 5, acct. # 28-01300.Plat #: 15b Lot #: 155
NOTE: Grave of Rev. Charles Dauray, Pastor Emeritus of Precious Blood Parish. Gravestone survey completed by Paul P. Delisle in April 1992.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO009 ST JAMES CEMETERY
Location: North of LOGEE STREET.
373 burials with 16 inscriptions from 1837 to 1895.
150 ft x 150 ft in very poor condition no enclosure; sign missing.
Tax Assessor's file #23, acct. # 06-31060. Plat #: 16n Lot #: 207
NOTE: Located on Logee Street between Park Avenue and Front Street. Right of way exists from Park Avenue. Last
known burial was in 1904. Cemetery was abandoned soon after. Few stones remain. Extensively vandalized. Number
of burials is an estimate, based on church records. Tomb has been destroyed, and bodies removed. Many other bodies
were removed after church abandoned the cemetery. Ownership of the land was transferred from the Woonsocket
Company to St. James Episcopal Church on 20 Oct 1840 (Smithfield Register of Deeds, Book 21, Page 418).
Additional land transferred on 10 June 1847 (Smithfield Register of Deeds, Book 25, Page 483). A right of way to Park
Avenue was transferred to St. James Church by the R.I.H.T. Co. on 16 November 1887 (Woonsocket Register of Deeds,
Book 34, Page 124). Cemetery has also been called Bernon Cemetery and Bernon Tombs. Henry Davis, first Civil War
casualty from Woonsocket is buried here.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO010 ARNOLD-VOSE CEMETERY
Location: Southwest of EAST ORCHARD ST.
129 burials with 82 inscriptions from 1742 to 1945.
100 ft x 150 ft in good condition enclosed with a metal fence; sign in fair condition.
Tax Assessor's file # 19, acct. # 33-00100. Plat #: 10c Lot #: 54
NOTE: Enclosed by high fence and locked gate. John Arnold, son of the first white settler of Woonsocket, is buried here. Incorrectly named Vose St. Cemetery at City Hall. Gravestone survey completed by James N. Arnold in February 1891. Gravestone survey completed by Paul P. Delisle and Roger Beaudry in May 1992.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO011 FRIENDS CEMETERY
Location: Northeast of GREAT RD.
97 burials with 59 inscriptions from 1795 to 1909.
150 ft x 150 ft in poor condition no enclosure; sign missing.
Tax Assessor's file # 11, acct. # 33-00050. Plat #: 5b Lot #: 260
NOTE: Directly across from Union Cemetery (N. Smithfield), and adjacent to Quaker meeting house, which is still in use. Congregation dates to 1719. Number of burials recorded is actual number of identified graves. There are an estimated 150 additional unmarked graves. Cemetery is poorly maintained. Sign missing. Gravestone survey completed by Grace G. Tillinghast in May 1932. Gravestone survey completed by Charles P. and Martha A. Benns, ca 1938.  Gravestone survey completed by Paul P. Delisle and Roger Beaudry in May 1992.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO012 BARTLETT LOT
Location: South of BARTLETT RD AT MENDON RD.
16 burials with 13 inscriptions from 1822 to 1858.
75 ft x 50 ft in poor condition no enclosure; sign in fair condition.
Tax Assessor's file # 2, acct. # 33-00550. Plat #: 50g Lot #: 6
NOTE: Off Mendon Road. Many stones down, broken, or missing. Extensively overgrown with weeds, briars and trees.
Some filling by neighbors. Neighbor dumping washing machine waste into cemetery. Number of burials is an estimate.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO013 COOK LOT
Location: 600 ft north of ELDER BALLOU MEETING HOUSE RD.
24 burials with 0 inscriptions.
50 ft x 100 ft in very poor condition enclosed with a stone wall; sign ???
Tax Assessor's file # 48, acct. # 33-00600. Plat #: 57b Lot #: 4
NOTE: Approximately 600' from road across a baseball field. All stones missing or broken, sign missing. Pieces of  broken gravestones found scattered approximately 100' from site of cemetery. Several very old building foundations and granite fence posts in the area. Twenty-four grave sites confirmed; there are probably many more.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO014 WOODLAWN CEMETERY
Location: West of MANVILLE RD.
5 burials with 0 inscriptions
Tax Assessor's file # 16. Plat #: 28c Lot #: 112 .
NOTE: Also referred to in some records as Hamlet Tombs. Established in 1851. Formally abandoned in 1920's, although abandonment took place many years sooner. No records exist. No markers exist. Land was stripped many years ago. Some bodies were discovered in 1948. Bernon Street passes through. Number of burials shown is number that has been confirmed from various records. No cemetery records have survived. There is some evidence to show that some bodies originally buried here were moved to other cemeteries.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO015 WILKINSON BURIAL LOT
Location: North of LYDIA AVENUE, AT WANDA DRIVE.
1 burial with 0 inscriptions
Tax Assessor's file # 20, acct. # 33-00650. Plat #: 34a Lot #: 3
NOTE: Bordered by Lydia Avenue on the east side, Wanda Drive on the south, and Lilac Avenue on the west. No markers remain. Land is recorded in city tax records as a cemetery. No other information available.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO016 EDGEHILL CEMETERY
Location: 300 ft east of CUMBERLAND HILL ROAD
129 burials with 1 inscription.
50 ft x 100 ft in very poor condition enclosed with a metal fence; sign missing.
NOTE: Also known as Potter's Field and City Burying Ground. East of Jannell Co. property, west of Jewish cemetery, north of Capron Cemetery. Abandoned by City of Woonsocket. Only stone that remains is a concrete marker with a cross. No inscriptions. Only access is through Jannell Co. property.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO017 BAPTIST HILL CEMETERY
Location: southeast of ARNOLD STREET, AT CATO STREET.
14 burials with 0 inscriptions .
NOTE: Shown on 1870 map of Woonsocket. Removed by developers in 1870's. Bodies were re-intered in Union Cemetery, North Smithfield, RI, according to information received from the Woonsocket Historical Society. Records of Union Cemetery prior to 1890 were lost in a fire. Cemetery was bordered by Railroad, Arnold, and Cato Streets.
HISTORICAL CEMETERY #: WO018 PECKHAM/WILKINSON
Location: West of MANVILLE ROAD.
Tax Assessor's file # 6, acct. # 33-00700. Plat #: 33a Lot #: 4.
NOTE: Located south of end of Bluestone Dr., on N. Smithfield line, west of lot #5 (city owned). Name on file at City Hall is "Peckham, Asa & David Wilkinson Cemetery." This cemetery has not been found.

Home What's New About Us Benefits Activities Members E-Mail Listing Mailing Lists Membership Application Research Policy
Lending Library Je Me Souviens  Terms - Phrases French Accents Surname Variations Genealogy Links Site List AFGS Survey

Updated 3 June, 2010

Copyright 2000-2010 by American-French Genealogical Society, All Rights Reserved